Friday 22 February 2013

Number 8 : Restaurang Ming

Just by chance I ended up eating Chinese food again. I say by chance because the intended restaurant was supposed to be Japanese, however due to the restaurant being closed for renovations and the rain starting to fall it was Restaurang Ming that I found myself dining at on this Monday evening. 


Decoration wise this restaurant is really nice, don't base your first impressions from what you see when you enter the door as once you go round the corner in to the eating areas it is extremely pleasant and has a real taste of the Orient. The food was also really lovely and looking around the restaurant other diners seemed to be saying the same thing and heartily tucking in to their dishes. You can choose from either a set meal from the menu or from a Mongolian BBQ  (where you choose your own raw ingredients and then they cook it for you). 

A down side was the service. If you have seen Fawlty Towers (Pang i Bygget) then my welcome was reminiscent of Basil Fawlty having a bad day. On arrival at the restaurant I waited by the door to be seated (as you tend to do) only for the waiter to shout over to me from the bar "Do you want to eat? Well come over here then." Then when it came to paying I thought I would be gracious and thank him for a nice meal and all I got in reply was some kind of grunting noise as my credit card was pushed back to me and I went on my way. Service with a smile? Not on this evening but I guess everyone can have an off night.

Another thing that I dislike (and I am going to sound really particular here) is when after your first course you are made to hold on to your knife and fork before the main dish arrives. And when I say hold on to I mean "hold on to" as apart from putting my soy sauce dripping cutlery down on the white table cloth there was no other option than to hold them in my hand until the main course arrived. I tried to give them away with my empty starter plate but this wasn't accepted. I think in general I always like a new knife and fork for my main course, when you go to a restaurant and pay good money you expect to be spoilt... I can't imagine guests at the Royal Palace or Nobel Dinner sitting holding their knifes and forks between each course, or maybe I am wrong. Yes, I know that it saves on washing up and the environment but on the other side me putting a soy stained fork down on a white table cloth, what is the environmental consequences of that? OK, that's my rant over now.

Rating: 5.5 / 10
Price: Medium
Would I go back here? Food was nice, decor nice but the service left a lot to be desired. 

Address: Kristinelundsgatan 9 · Göteborg

Date of visit: Monday 18th February 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment